Summer is the perfect time for kids to explore the world!
Whether you are planning a vacation across the country, looking for “staycation” ideas in your hometown, or simply exploring local parks, there will be many interesting things for kids to see and discover.
Regardless of where our travels take us we try to look upon each new trip as an opportunity for fun and adventure. To help capture our summer memories we decided to take a little inspiration from one of our favorite movies, Disney/Pixar’s UP!
We really enjoy Ellie’s sense of adventure and her thoughtful way of capturing her dreams and memories in a very special scrapbook. This is how we made our own Summer Adventure Book with just few items found around the house.
How to Make a Summer Adventure Book
Summer days can be filled with visits to parks, nature walks by a quiet stream, or airplane rides to visit family and friends.
Help your children capture their special summer memories with this DIY Summer Adventure Book.
- 2 pieces of cardboard (a cereal box or recycled shipping box work well)
- 2 sheets of 8 ½ “ x 11” card stock for the front and back covers (we used brown)
- Approximately 10 sheets of 8 ½ “ x 11” card stock for inside pages (we used beige) – You can add more sheets as needed
- Ribbon or twine
- Decorative paper, markers, stickers
- Duct Tape
- Glue stick
- Scissors/Hole Punch
- Measure and cut the cardboard so it is the same size as the card stock (8 ½ “ x 11”). These will be the front and back covers of your book.
- Measure in 1 ½ “ from the left side of each piece of cardboard (landscape view) and draw a line. Place the ruler on the line and fold the cardboard over the ruler.
- Add two holes to the left side of the covers (cardboard and card stock) and pages. Follow these steps to make sure all of the holes are aligned.
- Use the hole punch to create two holes on the left side of the top cover.
- Stack the inside pages under the cover, use the pencil to trace the holes, then use the hole punch to make holes on the pages.
- Stack the back cover under the cover, use the pencil to trace the holes then use the hole punch to make holes in the back cover.
- Glue card stock to the front and back covers.
- Fold Duct Tape around all 4 edges of the covers. Don’t forget to re-punch the holes where the duct tape has covered the original holes.
- Stack the bottom cover, pages, and top cover together.
- Cut a piece of ribbon/twine. Place the ends of the twine through the holes of the covers/pages and tie the string into a bow on the top of the book.
- Use decorative paper, stickers, or markers to customize the front of your new Summer Adventure Book.
Encourage your child to use the Summer Adventure Book to document all of their summer activities. On the inside pages children can:
Print and attach photos
Draw pictures of flowers and animals they see
Attach maps and ticket stubs of places they visit
Write notes or poems about their favorite memories.
The next time your family watches Pixar’s UP we hope your children will be inspired to search for new ways to explore the world around them. And always remember:
“Adventure is out there!” – Charles Muntz, UP