As we gratefully welcome spring in our house I want to make absolutely every single thing taste like lemon! Lemon cookies. Lemon cake. Lemon chicken. Lemon is one of my favorite citrus flavors and I like a lemon flavor so tart you have to suck your cheeks in until it passes. Which is exactly how I made my faaaaavorite lemon cupcakes.
So when it was finally sunny and over 50 last week I was running through the house opening windows and kicking up my heels. There might have been some hollering in there. I can’t recall. In any case spring announced itself with a full throated shout so obviously it was time for me to break out the lemons. And pie. A graham cracker crust to be exact. Because nothing says spring pie to me like a graham cracker crust. Light, crunchy, buttery. Yum.
Normally when I make this pie I don’t freeze it. But through a miscommnication between me and a 17 year old boy it got stuck in the freezer and when I pulled it out I was a little frustrated. But I couldn’t wait for that lemony kerpow flavor to thaw out so I cut into it and…oh man. I will never not freeze this pie ever again! It tastes kind of like ice cream and kind of like pudding and kind of like pie. Plus with just three ingredients you’ll love whipping this up in all of your favorite flavors!
If you’re not a graham cracker crust fan you can certainly use pie crust instead. Whatever floats your boat you’ll pretty much have the easiest summer dessert you could ever want! I’ve made this same pie with chocolate pudding too and I can’t wait to try it frozen! I use instant pudding but you can also use cook and serve or your own homemade recipe. Pudding + cream cheese + pie crust = the best summer pie ever!
What is your favorite summer dessert?
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 8 Tbs butter, melted
- 1 package lemon instant pudding
- 2 cups milk (per package directions)
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 Tbs lemon juice
- Whipped cream, optional
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter in a small bowl and mix until crumbs are moistened.
- Press in an even layer into a 9'' pie pan.
- Prepare pudding according to package directions.
- Using a hand mixer combine cream cheese, lemon juice, and pudding and mix on medium speed until combined.*
- Freeze for 3 hours or overnight until set.
- Top with whipped cream if desired.
- *To alleviate any lumps you can warm both the pudding and the cream cheese in a medium saucepan over low heat until cream cheese is completely melted and incorporated.
Check out these favorites from Cook. Craft. Love.!