Down here in the south we don’t do winter. Less than six inches of the white stuff and suddenly buses are incapable of running, schools are closed, and every kid in the county is trussed up in their cold weather gear ready to go out and build a snowman or have a snowball fight. As a kid there was only one thing that ever went hand in hand with a snow day. Hot chocolate.
When I was young my hot chocolate nirvana was a couple spoonfuls of Swiss Miss stirred into a cup of hot water. Handful of marshmallows for the cup. Handful for my mouth. And off I went. My grown up hot chocolate is so much richer and creamier and doesn’t involve a powdered mix. I’ve seen a lot of solid homemade hot chocolate powder mixes but it’s just me and cocoa powder. We don’t play well together. Plus the melted chocolate whisked together with the milk makes this creamier and more flavorful than anything you’ll get out of a powder.
Just make sure that before you set out to make this, your whisking arm is in good shape. Because you’ll need to whisk and whisk and whisk and then whisk some more. And then once you think you’re finished whisking you should probably whisk for a few more minutes just to be safe. Do you get that there might be some whisking involved?
I love to serve this hot chocolate in a sweet little mug. Because everything tastes better in an adorable mug, right? And it’s just really not hot chocolate done right unless you’ve got a handful of marshmallows for the mug and a handful for your mouth 😉
Are you a hot chocolate lover? Coffee? Tea? Cider? What’s your favorite grown up drink to keep you warm in the winter?
Check out these other awesome drink recipes from Cook. Craft. Love.!
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 cups milk (or sub 1 cup heavy cream for a creamier hot chocolate)
- Add chocolate chips and sugar to a medium saucepan and stir to combine until chocolate is slightly melted.
- Add one cup of milk (or the 1 cup heavy cream) and whisk until chocolate is totally melted and no lumps remain.
- Add the last 3 cups of milk and whisk, whisk, whisk continuously until hot chocolate is brought up to temperature, about 5 to 7 minutes.