When it comes to math and my children, it takes a lot for them to want to do it. When I was given the opportunity to review the online Math program called CTC Math I was hesitant, but I was willing to give it a try to see if it could keep their interest long enough for them to learn the topics. This is a review of the online math program CTC Math 12 Month Family Plan.
Before I get much further into this review and giveaway I would like to say that I was given free family access to the CTC Math program for my daughter Elizabeth in 2nd grade and son Beck in 4th grade. For full details read my disclosures found HERE.
My First Impression
I am starting to love online learning for my children more and more as they advance in their studies. Beck especially has taken to online learning, but Elizabeth is starting to take to it as well, when she is enticed by it that is. The lessons in CTC Math are perfect for their needs right now. When they are completing their CTC Math lessons I can focus on other topics with the other child. This helps me to teach two subject levels at the same time, so CTC Math is a definite plus to me. Since CTC Math is designed to be used 4-5 times a week, it is perfect for our math lesson needs.
I am also enticed by the lessons that are being taught. Each lesson has a straight forward lesson presented in an age appropriate manner with multiple question sections so that if I feel they have not done ‘good’ enough or struggled with the topic I can simply ask them to complete another set of problems. The additional problems are just as on topic as the initial set, but are not just variations on the previous questions. This is important to me as a teacher because the additional problems help to challenge their knowledge of the subject and are not just the questions being asked of the child or student.
My last first impression was also a pivotal one as well: CTC Math stores your records. This is important because it tracks our progress and provided updates at regular intervals. As a homeschooling mom this is important to be so that I can illustrate progress to my educational counselor each month. The system allows you to print out lessons after they are done, which is perfect to illustrate that my children have completed their lessons. Then, at the end of topics you can print out progress certificates for your child or for your school records.
Who can use CTCMath?
When I first logged into CTC Math I was very excited to see that each of my children would have access to all the subjects provided and at all levels. This is important because just because a children is at the appropriate math level today, tomorrow might be a different story. I will not lie and say that my children are super smart and advance at a cheetah’s pace all the time, but on those days that they do CTC Math can match pace with them with its additional reinforcement and direction to help them stay on the fast track. Also, each membership gets access to the following list of math topics from Kindergarten through 12th Grades:
- 1st Grade
- 2nd Grade
- 3rd Grade
- 4th Grade
- 5th Grade
- 6th Grade
- Basic Math & Pre-Algebra
- Elementary Measurement
- Elementary Geometry
- Algebra I
- Algebra II
And each student’s progress is saved in the system for retrieval at a later time.
What are the costs of this program?
The CTC Math program has a unique pricing system because they understand that students and children advance and learn at different paces. A membership to CTC Math will grant you access to the entire system, Kindergarten through the advance subjects, across all subjects, and at all levels for the duration of your membership. The best option and cost savings comes with their 12 Month Family Plan where families that have multiple children or students can gain access with a one-time, 12-month access fee for the entire family for $118.80.
How easy was it to teach?
CTC Math is very easy to teach. Simply log onto the student’s Login page and you are off to the races. The system is set-up to show you instantly where your progress is and allows you to navigate to the next lesson with ease. Everything is right at your mouse click, each and every time you log in. Then, as your child or students progress through the lessons their progress is tracked in an easy to read manner that does not need to be interpreted, but rather, simply read as a percentage as it is listed. So many products out there complicate progress, but CTC Math is very clear with the percentage tracking.
It was very nice to see both Elizabeth and Beck embracing their CTC Math lessons. It was even refreshing when they did not get a satisfactory completion score they would ask if they could do more problems. Beck even liked doing them when he did not need too and performed well in the lesson because CTC Math was fun to him and was just challenging enough to not discourage him, even when he got lower scores. Here are some of the points that I like and appreciated about CTC Math:
- All Grades Included – CTC Math comes with all grades from Kindergarten to the advanced topics presented in High School. Students and teachers can bounce around as needed for reinforcement or use it as a core product.
- Reinforcement – As your child or student advances through CTC Math they will build on their knowledge and skills with math. Each subject has multiple sets of problems to demonstrate that they know the materials or to help develop their mastery of the subject.
- Organization – Each subject is laid out and organized in such a manner that as the teacher of CTC Math I can see what I need to teach, how it will be learned, and can see how my children are advancing through the subjects.
- Low Cost – For the price of $118.80 for both of my students CTC Math cannot be beat. Hands-down this is an awesome price.
- Access from Anywhere – Since CTC Math is an online program, it can be accessed from anywhere using the internet. This means we can access it on the go, at the library, at friends and relatives, and at many other places. This mobility allows me to be flexible with the lessons and not tie us down to a desktop computer.
Some of the things that my children have said since starting to use CTC Math are:
After using CTC Math for 2nd grade topics with my daughter Elizabeth and for 4th grade topics with my son Beck, I asked them what they thought about CTC Math. Here are some of their comments they wanted to share about it:
- “I like how they explain it to us and then let us do a lot of questions to show what we learned.” – Beck, 9 years old
- “I like how they teach us how to do it and how after reading the directions we get to do the lessons all by ourselves!”– Elizabeth, 7 years old
Where else can I find CTC Math?
You can follow along with CTC Math on and at…
- Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/ctcmath?ref=hl
- Facebook Aus (Maths Online) at: https://www.facebook.com/mathsonline.com.au?ref=hl
My Final Thoughts on CTC Math:
For me, because CTC Math is easy for me to use as the teacher, easy for my children to access, can be accessed from anywhere on the internet, and it stores all of my records, emails me weekly updates, and more! The CTC Math system has been a perfect addition to my homeschooling adventure for Beck and Elizabeth too.
Still on the fence about purchasing CTC Math? Why not click the button below to read what other Schoolhouse Review Crew members think of this product?
Latest posts by Jill R. (EnchantedHomeschoolingMom) (see all)
- US State Study of the Week Weekly Series FREE Massachusetts Pack - November 26, 2014
- Months of the Year Printable Series FREE December Door Hanger - November 25, 2014
- Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop 64 - November 24, 2014