Yarn Pumpkins

Posted on Oct 3 2013 - 1:00am by Ashley

I was hoping to have some cute little pumpkins from our pumpkin vine to decorate with this year, but due to my “black thumb” and the current drought the vine didn’t make any pumpkins (it is barely holding on right now). So I decided we would make some pumpkins for our table this fall! We came up with Yarn Pumpkins!

To make our yarn pumpkins we started with various sized balloons, orange yarn,  glue (we used a combination of Elmer’s, water, and some flour to thicken it), and pipe cleaners.
Cut the yarn into long pieces. For younger kids you may have to use slightly shorter pieces, but I would use pieces as long as can be handled. Dip the yarn in the glue and then remove excess.
Then wrap the yarn around the balloon securing the ends under pieces of yarn. I wrapped mine similar to the grooves in real pumpkins. You don’t want them to be too perfect or they won’t have any flat area to sit on!

I had to do a few to create a base for the girls because they couldn’t seem to get any yarn to stick. Once they had a start they could create any pattern they wanted.

Then we hung our pumpkins outside to dry (it is still quit warm here).

I was surprised when I went out a couple hours to find all our balloons had shrunk away from our yarn!  If they hadn’t done this we would have gently pushed the balloons away from the yarn to loosen it prior to popping.

Once dry, remove the balloon and any excess glue (if you did this with a young child you may have quite a bit).

Finally you can add pipe cleaner stems and vines. I used a brown pipe cleaner looped around and secured inside the pumpkin. Then we twisted it to get the stem. We added a green pipe cleaner for the vine; just use your finger to get it to curl.

And you have a pumpkin. They may not be perfect pumpkins, but you rarely find perfect pumpkins in nature either.  The girls were pretty happy with them!

Now we have 4 pumpkins on our table just waiting for fall!

Post end
The following two tabs change content below.
Ashley is classic strong-willed child, she fulfilled her lifelong dream of becoming a veterinarian in 2005 only to realize a new dream had formed, having a family with her husband (another strong-willed child). After much heartache, they were blessed with 2 daughters and a son, who are all proving to be just as spirited as their parents! Though she is still working part-time, she fills her days off with fun activities and lots of learning with her three kids. And this is where her blog Life with Moore Babies comes in; it is where she documents the activities they do and the places they go in hopes that someone might be inspired to do some “fun learning” with their kids.

Latest posts by Ashley (see all)

56 Comments so far. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. No Doubt Learning October 4, 2013 at 9:21 pm - Reply

What a cute and easy craft! Thanks for sharing!

2. Kali October 5, 2013 at 7:15 am - Reply

This look like a fun messy project! Can't wait to try it out. :)

3. JODI October 5, 2013 at 8:10 am - Reply

This is such a fabulous idea. I have seen these balls made before but to turn them into little pumpkins is brilliant.

4. Kristina October 5, 2013 at 8:39 am - Reply

Those turned out SO cute! We've tried yarn ornaments and didn't have much luck… perhaps we didn't use enough glue?! I like how you made pumpkins though!

• LifeMooreBabies October 9, 2013 at 4:24 am - Reply

You have to use a good amount of glue and make sure the ends are tucked in. When the girls tried on their own the pumpkins had loose strings hanging off where they didn't tuck the ends under.

5. Lauren October 5, 2013 at 7:17 pm - Reply

How cute! They look awesome. Thank you for sharing at our Pinning for Play link party!

6. Laura M October 5, 2013 at 7:39 pm - Reply

These are so eye catching but it looks like they were fun to make too! Bonus! :)

7. thecraftingfoodie October 5, 2013 at 9:46 pm - Reply

What a great idea! I love how the kids can do the creative portions of the craft all by themselves (or at least with minimal adult help).

• LifeMooreBabies October 9, 2013 at 4:23 am - Reply

It would be easier for older kids too; I would guess 8 and 9 year olds could do this with little help at all!

8. My lIttle 3 and mE October 6, 2013 at 9:46 am - Reply

These look such a lot of messy fun to make. Just love it. :-)

9. Natalie October 7, 2013 at 1:50 pm - Reply

This craft is lovely, well, at least for the kids who don't mind glue :) I actually want to make a couple of those just for myself :) Thanks for sharing with Afterschool!

• ashley October 9, 2013 at 4:20 am - Reply

I hope you try it! I was worried about my girls not wanting to get messy with tht eglue, but they jumped in!

10. cantcraftmama October 9, 2013 at 9:54 pm - Reply

I've always wanted to try these, but feel I need to wait until my boys are a bit older. I featured this at The Kid's Co-Op on my blog: http://jennifischer.blogspot.com/2013/10/kids-co-

• LifeMooreBabies October 12, 2013 at 5:57 am - Reply

Thank you for hosting and for letting me know they were featured!

11. Julie October 9, 2013 at 10:55 pm - Reply

I think they're cute and I bet the kids had fun making them.

• LifeMooreBabies October 12, 2013 at 5:57 am - Reply

They did have a good time. Thanks for stopping by!

12. CraftyMomsShare October 10, 2013 at 6:47 am - Reply

So cute!! I love them. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

13. grtlyblesd October 10, 2013 at 8:04 am - Reply

Cute! I'm amazed at how many more pumpkin ideas there are now that we have Pinterest, lol. It's a little overwhelming.

• LifeMooreBabies October 12, 2013 at 5:56 am - Reply

Yes, a pumpkin explosion to be sure! And such creative ones too!

14. crystal October 10, 2013 at 11:06 am - Reply

Thanks for sharing this super cute craft at my weekly linky party at Crystal and Comp! I also shared with my FB group and I pinned it of course!

15. bonnie October 10, 2013 at 1:48 pm - Reply

I was wondering of you could use streamers insread of yarn??

• LifeMooreBabies October 12, 2013 at 5:56 am - Reply

Not sure. You could certainly try, but you would probably need more layers like you do when you paper mache with newspaper. Might be worth a shot though!

16. Kim Vij October 11, 2013 at 7:51 am - Reply

Thanks for sharing this on our After School Linky Party! Just shared this as my top pick this week on our Facebook Page and Pinterest Board! Can't wait to try it out with my daugthers this weekend!

17. ALLISON October 11, 2013 at 3:22 pm - Reply

What a fun and festive craft! I'll be featuring these on The Sunday Showcase this weekend. Thanks for linking up!

18. Mackenzie October 11, 2013 at 5:38 pm - Reply

These are so fun; our boys would love them! Thanks for the fun idea!

• LifeMooreBabies October 12, 2013 at 5:55 am - Reply

I hope you get a chance to try them; I'm sure they would love the messy glue!

19. Marcia October 13, 2013 at 2:06 pm - Reply

Love this idea!

20. Courtney October 15, 2013 at 11:26 am - Reply

Adorable! Thanks for sharing on the Discover and Explore linky!

21. Chelsey October 16, 2013 at 2:31 pm - Reply

These turned out so cute! I'd love to make some with the kids to decorate for fall! Thank you so much for linking up to this week's Discover & Explore!

22. Kristen December 27, 2013 at 11:34 am - Reply

These are really cute. Looks like a fun project to try with the kids. They love messy glue crafts :)

23. Emma @ P is for Preschooler August 30, 2014 at 12:20 am - Reply

These are beautiful! I can’t believe how easy they sound to make!
    Emma @ P is for Preschooler recently posted…More fun ideas – We Love Weekends LinkyMy Profile

24. Victoria August 31, 2014 at 6:39 am - Reply

These are so cute! We tried them last year and didn’t turn out the way we wanted too, so we are trying them again :)
    Victoria recently posted…Pocket Charts & Music: Nursery Rhyme Finger PlayMy Profile

25. Melissa September 22, 2014 at 6:00 pm - Reply

Those are awesome! I love the crazy shapes of some of them!
    Melissa recently posted…Scrap Ribbon Pumpkin SuncatchersMy Profile